Thursday, October 13, 2005

 

Section 4: Chapters 15-18

Chapter 15 sort of bothers me. I don't know where the author is going with the whole "Pi belongs to three different religions" thing, but I guess I can't judge him until I've read the whole book. I just hope he doesn't go where I can't follow. By that, I mean that if he begins encouraging multiple religions or something like that, I may have difficulty sympathizing with what he has to say.

Chapter 16 isn't any better. He compares Hindus to Muslims to Christians, and, in effect, says that they are all basically the same. I disagree completely. They may have a few similarities, but they are VERY different.

Yann Martel's long, drawn-out descriptions are becoming a little monotonous rather than adding extra color to the story. This is actually quite interesting, and strange. Normally, I would say, "The more descriptive the descriptions, the better." But, right now, everything he says is chock full of descriptions. I hope that I can allow those descriptions to fulfill their purpose in the story, and not let them get in the way of enjoying what I'm reading.

The next few chapters were a little different and I'm beginning to see where Martel might go with Pi's multi-religious ideology. Pi is running into problems by attempting to follow all three religions (Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism); I hope he chooses correctly.

I don't know what to think now that I've finished Chapter 28. I don't like how the boy is mixing Christianity with other religions. Christianity clearly teaches that it is the only true religion, although surely, other religions have things to offer. For example, Muslims are very, very devoted to God, and that is, of course, a good trait, and can be used by Christians in our faith, as well. Also, Buddhists are usually very self-disciplined, some being able to sit, meditating for hours or even days. God would do great things if Christians meditated on His Word day and night, and prayed regularly (continuously) for all things.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?